Thursday, October 12, 2006

Squash the thirst!

I recently enjoyed some one-on-one time with a Gang of 100 member, who I'm calling Sourdough. I had mixed feelings about him back when I met him in March -- thought maybe he exhibited meat head/frat boy tendencies, although he was probably a nice one. Luckily I was wrong. We talked about our families, our thoughts on religion and spirituality, stuff that's actually meaningful and has nothing whatsoever to do with school. Made me realize how many quick judgments I've made about other Gang members. Why do we always DO that? Hmmm. I wonder what kind of snap judgments they've made about me?

Anyway, finally, I'm at a place where Gang members are more than just people I go to school with, alkeishas who I drink with, or smartypants that I call up when I can't figure out economics. Folks have more or less settled into their own social groups or closely knit clusters and we're really starting to get to know each other now. In Club5, for example, we're getting comfortable enough with each other that our meetings are starting to get a bit more tense, now that we don't feel the need to be extra careful with our words and opinions. I think it's a good thing, provided we still maintain respect and honesty in the Club, because more thoughts are being expressed. MBA students would probably make a fascinating psychological or sociological study. I should quadruple major.

I played squash today. For the first time ever. And if you had seen me, you would have known it was my first time ever. While I completely understand the need for goggles, I want to know why they can't invent fog-free goggles. And I want to know why the squash ball is so small. And I want to know what real squash players do to strengthen their other arm. My right forearm is sore and I'm worried that if I continue playing, my left arm isn't going to develop and I'll be lopsided.

So, yeah, I opted for physical activity and roommate-bonding tonight with Grey's Anatomy, rather than obscene drinking with the Gang in Clarendon. However, as much as I love Grey's Anatomy and my roommates, I'm wondering if obscene drinking would have led to a different kind of physical activity and I could have foregone Grey's and the roommates because, dammit, y'all, it sucks to be single and not getting any when you used to have regular access for nearly two freakin' years. I had a bit o' fun way back during the first week of classes (which was, like, eternity ago) and wouldn't you know it, that well seems to have dried up. I tell you, this girl is thirsty! Good thing I'm off to do speed-dating for the first time ever on Tuesday ... heh.

No comments: