Sunday, October 08, 2006

My heart is smiling

Over the weekend, about 10 members of the Gang of 100 went out to Virginia to help fellow member "The Chaos" move into his new apartment. Now, The Chaos has earned this name for reasons which are too numerous and overwhelming to explain in full. Suffice it to say that I've been keeping his car at my apartment for the past month because it's currently boot-eligible in The District. He's been living rent-free (and kitchen-free) with a 60-something old broad because he moved here without first finding a place to live. On the day that tuition payments were due, he was calling the bank for a loan. He tried to get me to pretend to be his current landlord because he didn't get around to telling the old broad that he was moving out. I think the evidence speaks for itself. But, he's a good (albeit frenetic) guy. Endless entertainment.

Anyway, The Chaos recruited some of the Gang to help him unpack the UHaul trailer that he, his brother and bro's girlfriend drove from the Midwest. Not only did we all show up, but we had his boxes pretty much unpacked in just a few hours -- and I'm talking dishes in cabinets, books on shelves, even pictures hung on the walls. It just made my heart happy that after only knowing each other for a month, we do this sort of stuff for each other.

And I got to thinking ... I've been so obsessed with studying and getting my career in order, that I might be forgetting other, more important things in life. So, I've added a new element to the blog -- Today's Three Sparks (look over to the right). Each day, I have to come up with three things that spark my imagination, passion, thoughts, or inspiration. They might be little things, they might be big things. Who knows. All I know is that I want to find three things every 24 hours that inspire me and remind me that I'm part of a big world.

No comments: