Wednesday, August 08, 2007

eHarmony is the devil

So there's this guy at work. No, it's not what you're thinking. This guy is not at all my type. I think he's really nice at heart, but he's just a little lacking in the smooth department. I hate to say it, but he's a lurker. ew. Turns out that Lurker told another co-worker that he's "crushing big time" on me. Luckily, that very gracious and thoughtful co-worker dodged the question carefully and responded without giving a real response. Whatever he said must have been good enough for Lurker because he hasn't confronted me yet. Yet....

But back to the topic at hand -- eHarmony. First off, any online dating site that rejects people should be illegal. You know those Match.com ads that ask if you've been rejected by eHarmony? Well, it actually happens. It happened to my co-worker, Sugar (another Operation 2012 operative). Granted, she admits that she wasn't exactly emotional stable at the time she signed up, but still -- no one should receive an email after taking the 40 minute personality test, saying "there's a certain segment of the population we don't feel comfortable matching." That's just wrong.

That should have been my first red flag. But no, I went ahead and completed the eHarmony profiling. I should have seen the second red flag when this devil site matched me with a friend from Boston after only a few days. But no, I kept faith.

Less than a week after I posted my eHarmony profile, I got matched with a guy who lives in Virginia, works for a Christian humanitarian nonprofit and, guess what, shares the same real name as Lurker. WTF?! I fell out of my chair, immediately deleted my eHarmony account and ran down the hall to tell Sugar. I mean, really!? How is it possible that I got matched with two men that I know? The whole point of online dating is to expand the pool of available men! I'm online because I don't want to date any of the men I currently know!

So I'm down to two online dating sites -- Match and Chemistry. Which are pretty much the same thing. I finally took the plunge and bought a 3 month subscription to Match a couple days ago. So far, not so bad. I've had 307 views, 14 winks, and 20 emails. Of course, eight of the 20 emails were from the same guy. He was immediately deleted from my profile. sigh.

But my online dating concerns don't end there. Back in October, the Four Seasons ventured out for a night of speed dating. It was a fabulous story, but unfortunately, it ended in a rather awful date with SpeedDateBoy. Interestingly enough, however, I had posted my profile through the speed date site and received an email from a guy that sounded pretty cool. I replied but then never heard back, so I gave up.

Well, lo and behold, this same guy stumbled across my profile on Match, recognized me, and emailed me the cutest note -- something along the lines of having run into me in another online dating life and hoping that he hadn't said anything to scare me away. Stalker psycho or kindred spirit? We'll see ... I think I'll email him back.



----------------
Now playing: Hanneke Cassel - Miss Drummond of Perth's Favorite Scotch Measure
via FoxyTunes

No comments: