Sunday, November 05, 2006

Need to improve my dating karma

Yep, it's official. No more dating. I was absolutely dreading going out with SpeedDateBoy tonight – and this is after I had postponed the date for two weeks (or 19 days, as he so politely corrected me). That parenthetical really should be enough said, but no, there's more.

For all you guys out there, here are a few tips, courtesy of The Lady V. First, try hard not to call her seven times in one week. Even if you think she’s really cute. Even if you met her on a random night and bought her a drink while she was speed dating. Seriously, seven calls in one week is kinda aggressive. And it makes you seem desperate. Both are major turnoffs.

Second, don't invade a girl's personal space on the first date. Specifically, don't try to squeeze into the same revolving door section. Believe or not, it’s not cute.

Third, if she has to leave because she’s dog-sitting and didn’t get a chance to walk the dog, it’s usually best if you don’t offer to “come with.” Who DOES that?

Lastly, don’t ever, ever, ever wear a sweater vest. Ever.

sigh.

Now I see why Washington D.C. was rated No. 9 on the Best Cities for Singles list.

Maybe I should take the advice of Gang of 100 member GFiddy (that was his choice for a code name, don’t look at me). I gave him the recap of the night and he scolded me for not coming up with a better lie – “If you’re gonna date, you gotta learn to lie,” he sniffed. Specifically, learn lies that make it impossible for the unwanted date to join. Can’t say I fully agree with GFiddy. Lying seems pretty cold, unfeeling, oh and unethical. But hey, GFiddy is also the guy who attempted to reassure me by saying there are plenty of fish in the sea and not all of them are floating on top.

Oh lordy.

No comments: