Friday, January 26, 2007

It's flammable

Last night was the first IPO of the semester. I was totally looking forward to observing the Gang acting all crazy and promptly sharing the stories with you. Surely, thought I, the first IPO of the semester will provide endless amounts of excellent blog fodder. Except that I ended up being the craziness and only remember half of the night. It wasn't really my fault! I blame it on the 3 gin and tonics. And the 3 shots of I-don't-know-what. And the 3 glasses of champagne. uggghhhh .... The good news is that I should wear that brown dress more often -- men were buying me drinks all night and I received a whole bunch of compliments. Great for the ego and the budget! The bad news is that I got into a fight with an Australian on the street (don't remember any of it) and was hungover all day. Ew.

Needless to say, I wasn't very productive today. I bought folders at CVS. And I put stuff into the folders.

I also set my kitchen sponge on fire. That was definitely the highlight of my day. Now, before you judge me, let me just say that I read an article in this week's Post about a scientific study that showed you can sterilize your sponges by nuking them for two minutes. I figured it would be a good idea to have a germ-free sponge. Unfortunately, while the scientific claim may be true, it is also a fact that sponges don't take well to microwaving. After about a minute and a half, the plastic scrubby layer starts to melt and the insides have been crisped black. In my lethargic state, it took me a few moments to comprehend that a burning smell of plastic and a smoking sponge was not a good combination. In a slight panic, I prematurely terminated the sterilization process and gingerly removed the almost-germ-free sponge, which was now starting to ooze melted plastic and whose corner was completely blackened. It didn't smell so good. Who knew you could overcook a sponge?

Always on top of things, The Post today published an article about other sponges who have met similar fiery demises. It's nice to know I'm not the only irresponsible sponge owner. Schadenfreude!

No comments: