Sunday, January 07, 2007

Agog but not quite aghast


Last Friday, Congressman George Miller logged into Second Life to speak to a virtual audience in a virtual Capitol Building, complete with virtual congressional seals, podiums and an eerily accurate avatar. Rocketboom's Joanne Colan moderated the Q&A session, which was open to the public. Watch it yourself.

So.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Call me crazy but if I'm going to participate in a virtual second life, I want it to be as different from my real life as possible. I mean, my real life is messed up enough as it is; why replicate it online? No, if I were a Second Lifer, I wouldn't spend my time listening to a real Congressman speak. I'd want to live a life of power, of wealth, of influence, of stature and quality ... I would be a 6'5" heterosexual white man! And the first thing I'd do is have virtual sex with a busty blonde. And pee into the Grand Canyon while standing up.

You think I'm kidding. Which I am. Sort of. Not about the peeing thing though. But really, what would my virtual life be like as a heterosexual white man? Who would my friends be? What kind of job would I hold? What expectations would be placed on me and what obstacles lie before me? And could I get arrested for virtual public urination?

All quality questions, I feel. And if I had enough time and money, I would take on this social experiment, write a book about it and get rich. Unfortunately, my real life consists of sticking to a student's budget, watching Liverpool lose miserably to Arsenal, and hunting for the perfect internship.

Oh hell, who needs a virtual life when you can have my exciting reality?

1 comment:

Liz & Ryan said...

To take you one step closer to fulfilling your dream...

Self-Made Man by Norah Vincent
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Made-Man-Womans-Journey-Manhood/dp/0670034665