Friday, July 20, 2007

Give me your tired, your poor

I saw two interesting articles on BBC and in The Post this morning. (It's been a slow week at work). The BBC wanted to know if believing in God is a requirement for the U.S. president. The article noted how only one Congressman, Pete Stark (CA) has ever publicly admitted he was an atheist. When asked about the presidential race, he responded, "Who can say more rosaries than the next person in a certain given amount of time, hardly seems to me, to be a qualification ... I'd like to hear much more specifics about how they plan to get us universal health care."

Can't say I disagree. And speaking of helping those who are in need, The Post today published an op-ed on John Edwards and the credit he is due for "making the poor visible." In it, E.J. Dionne Jr., references the three top Democratic candidates and their anti-poverty records. Now, for me and perhaps for these candidates, our concern for the poor comes from our faith and what we believe is a clear set of instructions to have compassion and reach out for those who need assistance. But, if an atheist feels the same way toward the poor, does it really matter? If that atheist or Buddhist or Muslim or Mormon can come up with solutions to alleviate suffering in this country, shouldn't they be given a shot at the presidency?

One of America's best character traits is its desire for a meritocracy. I know that reality doesn't always reflect it, but the idea is that the best person for a job should have that job, regardless of personal history, faith, ideology, background, whatever. I should hope our country is able to provide this answer to the BBC and the rest of world.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

No comments: