Monday, July 23, 2007

And so the 10-year saga ends ...

No more Harry Potter books. I finished the book Saturday night and was awestruck and thrilled and sad all at the same time. I can't believe it's over.

Criticize all you want, but these books are amazing. J.K. Rowling has created a world just as charming, rich and profound as Middle Earth or Narnia. I've invested 10 years of my life, immersing myself in the lives of these children and it's just so wonderful to see how it all came together in the end. sigh...

I did play the cruelest joke at work, though. A co-worker asked me to come upstairs and talk really loudly about a fake ending to the book because the two women who sit next to him haven't finished Book 7 yet. So, although I expressed remorse at the beginning, I did it. Screamed about how Harry, Hermione and Ron all die in the end and from over the cubicle wall came a shout, "Omigod, whoever is talking needs to stop RIGHT NOW!" At which point, we dissolved into laughter and admitted it was all a joke. The two women came flying around the corner, demanding that I show my face and how could I be that cruel?! We spent the next 20 minutes debriefing about the parts they've already read.

Ah Harry. He just brings people together, doesn't he?

No comments: