Sunday, March 18, 2007

A nation conceived in liberty


Flipping through this morning's Post, I was sickened and saddened to see this most astonishing photo accompanying a story about yesterday's war protests. The men pictured here were part of the counter-protest, advocating a justified Iraq war and accusing the protesters of desecrating the memories of fallen soldiers.

Perhaps my shock and dismay at this photo and the anger in this man's face stems from the story of reconciliation and unity that is currently capturing my imagination. Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography on Abraham Lincoln, Team of Rivals, is an incredible portrayal of, quite possibly, the best leader we've ever had as a nation. And even though the tale is wrought with violence, fratricide and betrayal, Lincoln steadfastly exhibited inconceivable grace, humility and wisdom to bring the country through a terrible war.

I think Lincoln would have been as heartbroken by this photo as I am. I hesitate to make direct comparisons between today's events in America and the horrors of the Civil War, but I still think the president's concluding words of his first inaugural address hold truth for us today. I'd encourage you to take some time to learn more about our 16th president -- I promise that you'll come away changed.
I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

2 comments:

Tyler and Leah said...

Stumbled onto your blog - nice post! Let's bring him back to run for president again.

The Lady V said...

Thanks! Here's to hoping we see another leader like Lincoln in this lifetime!