Sunday, May 13, 2007

Unexpected meetings over a relaxing weekend

D.C. is definitely the city of random run-ins for me. Before I even moved here, I ran into a friend of a friend who was happened to be visiting Boston and who was moving to this city. Then there's the Gang member who went to college with an old NY high school friend of mine. And the guy I now work with who grew up in the same church as a good friend of mine in Boston. And the Houston high school friend of mine whose two best friends I dated for awhile and is currently living here. Or the weird connection that my roommate and I have with mutual friends out in East Asia.

Of course, there have been some not so great run-in's, like the time I unsoberly got into a fight with a random Australian guy on the street. Or the time I ran into cops and got pulled over twice in one week for speeding (neither resulted in a ticket, thank you very much). And the awkward moment when I ran into a guy at a club after he sent me a nasty email when I kinda ignored his phone calls and emails for a bit. And I must have run into something really hard on Friday because I woke up on Saturday with a nasty bruise on my thigh (and a nasty hangover). Side note: This whole post-finals euphoria is getting a little out of hand. Good thing I start working 40 hours a week tomorrow.

But, on the whole, I have to say the run-ins have been enjoyable and surprising. Tonight, I randomly decided to attend this church that I've visited before -- and ran into two old Boston friends who just happened to be visiting this week! We caught up over dinner and it was so great to chat with them and get the dirt on what's been happening with my Beantown gang. It's nice to know that even though I've felt really disconnected from my Boston friends lately, there are always moments that help plug you back in, just when you least expect it.

Here's to hoping the run-ins continue!

No comments: