Friday, May 11, 2007

My first karaoke experience in DC

And it was so great.

Soooo great.

We started out with authentic Korean BBQ, 3 Asians and our token white friend. Naturally.

After much laughter, good food and kim chee, we moved on ... to our own private karaoke box. I should note here that we, of course, were not in D.C. Asians evidently don't live in DC and the ethnicities that do live there evidently don't like to karaoke as much as we do. Anyway, e were out in Annandale, land of ethnicity (well, lots of Koreans, at least) and, rather unfortunately, ethnic gangs. Armed now with 4 Asians and a token white friend, we sang our little hearts out. I love international karaoke -- English songs, Chinese songs, English songs...I was almost ready to break out in a little Gloria Estefan, but no. I did, however, embarrass myself fully by allowing someone else to pick a song for me, which turned out to be Whitney Houston's Greatest Love of All. My vocal coaches would have denied me three times before the cock crowed.

The song selection ran from George Michael to Ace of Base to Christina Aguilera to Stevie Wonder. But we ended the night with Boyz II Men's End of the Road. What a way to go out -- in a blaze of glory ... except that none of us could remember half the song, so most of it ended up as a bad spoken word interpretation of what my 9th grade years recall as one of the best songs of all time.

A+ for effort, though.

No comments: