Friday, June 27, 2008

Musings on Life

Someone just sent me this latest video from Tony Perkins, posing an abortion question to Barack Obama.



Now, I have to tell you. While I am not pro-abortion, I firmly believe that no one has a right to talk about being pro-life unless they are applying a consistent life-affirming perspective. A right to life does not end after birth, nor does it end if you are terminally ill, nor after you’ve committed a crime.

My problem with Tony's video is not that he’s challenging Obama. He has every right to challenge and question a presidential candidate’s position on abortion. And I agree with him that abortion is not the choice God wants us to make. My problem is that Tony’s solution to the pro-life debate seems to be mostly about shutting down Planned Parenthood, overturning Roe v. Wade, and supporting capital punishment. At least, that’s what you see when you receive his email newsletters, as I do. He and the Family Research Council remain conspicuously silent on the 30,000 children that die each day from preventable causes – no mention of them on the FRC’s “Issues” page. And this video only underscores the omission.

If Jesus came so that everyone could live life in all its fullness, then why shouldn’t we also make that our goal? Surely God also does not choose for 30,000 children to die every day on our watch.

No comments: