Monday, June 02, 2008

In an age of skepticism

Thanks to everyone who sent me such nice notes about my blog on racism! As a token of my appreciation, I'm now giving you an entry on religion. Nothing like tackling two tough topics in three days :)

First, the somewhat flippant piece -- Facebook launched a group today called "Faithbook." Founded by a rabbi in the UK, it's meant to be way to promote constructive dialogue about faith using images, prayers, content from sacred texts, videos, etc. (Either that, or it's a group for Facebook users who have a lisp). I'm intrigued by this idea and wonder how it will play out -- what kinds comments will people write on the wall? How will the discussion be kept above board, coherent and intelligent? Moreover, will it even be useful? So far, there are only 2 "fans" of the site and neither of them have commented on the content. Check it out, if you're a Facebook user, and let me know what do you think!

Second, I bought Tim Keller's new book the other day, The Reason for God, and I'm really excited about it. Not only do I hold Mr. Keller in high esteem but I've been having some pretty heavy faith-focused conversations with people recently who have (rightly) challenged my beliefs and my rationale for faith. I hope this book will help me give them better answers. And, who knows, maybe they will also be compelled to read it, in an intellectually and emotionally honest desire to get to know me and my faith better.

I've only read a few pages of the introduction (short Metro ride) and Keller says that, in general, our global society is turning both more religious and less religious simultaneously. What a great way to start the book -- pulls you right in! Let me know if you're reading this book too and feel free to share your thoughts. You can be my virtual book club (oh, how I miss you, my dear Boston book club buddies!)

Both Faithbook and the Keller book are aimed at creating an honest dialogue on faith (although, I'd also say that there's nothing quite like THE Book to do accomplish that, too). And, given all the crazy developments we've seen in religion (extremism) and churches (Rev. Wright, sex scandals), I am glad for the effort. I hope, however, that these vehicles don't become substitutes for good, old-fashioned face-to-face dialogue. Faith is a personal decision, of course, but that doesn't mean it has to be a private one, made by a solitary person in a room with a computer. Who makes big, life-changing decisions without consulting family and/or friends and then doesn't tell anyone?

No comments: