Sunday, June 15, 2008

Be fed and be a holy troublemaker

I spent my weekend at a wonderful conference called Pentecost 2008 -- it was a gathering of people of faith who want to put ending poverty at the top of everyone's priority list. Good people! We had the opportunity to hear from some absolutely incredible people, including Jim Wallis and Brian McLaren -- two wonderfully prophetic voices who inspire me to live life deeply and purposefully. Other notable speakers included John Unger, who worked with Mother Teresa in Calcutta, James Lawson, who worked with Martin Luther King Jr., and Alexia Salvatierra, an ordained pastor doing phenomenal work in creating economic justice for low-income workers.

And, as always, the best part of attending these conferences is the company you are honored to keep, kindred spirits who challenge you, love you, and motivate you. I just drank up the fellowship with dear, old friends and look forward to more time with the new friends.

The driving force behind this conference is the mobilization of resources around a campaign called Vote Out Poverty -- the purpose is to call our nation's elected leaders to go on record and come up with real ways to address poverty in the U.S. and around the world. There are 90 million working Americans who struggle with poverty -- and that is deplorable.

So, stay tuned for more information! Pentecost 2008 did such a good job of motivating me that I got talked into starting up the local campaign in my church and neighboorhood. My roommate, who I now call Five Star, is heading up the effort and I have no doubt she'll be putting me to work soon.

I hope you, dear readers, have a chance to attend an event that refreshens and rewards you as much as Pentecost did for me. Go and feed that spirit of yours!



----------------
Now playing: Henryk Goreki - Sostenuto Tranquillo Ma Catabile
via FoxyTunes

No comments: