Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm coming home

Last day in the Middle East!

For now, that is.

Today, I had my last falafel pita lunch, my last hotel buffet dinner, took my last tourist photo. And I have to say, these elderly folk have really grown on me over the past 10 days. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to spending time with people in my own generation again, but some (though not all) of my fellow travelers have turned out to be real charmers.

While I'm also looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again, I will miss so much about this fascinating, complex, endearing region. I'll miss the Turkish coffee, the chicken schwarma pita sandwiches, hearing the Muslim call to prayer, trying to learn Hebrew and Arabic, and most of all, I will miss getting offers of marriage and negotiating my price in camels. The bartender last night offered a million camels shipped to New York by boat, so he could "mate" with me. I told him that he probably was looking for the word "marry."

For now, though, I have a lot of valuable information and unforgettable experiences from this trip to digest and piece together. It's all been rather overwhelming, but the Middle East is a very special region and I hope to be back soon. Stay tuned for more reflections and photos.

No comments: