Monday, January 07, 2008

Even the lowest of valleys can be inspiring


We visited the Dead Sea today -- the lowest place on the planet at 1400 feet below sea level. When we first drove in, the thing I noticed immediately is the most beautiful azure blue of the water. I don't know why, but I think I've always imagined the Dead Sea as this sort of yellow-brown stagnant blob of water. After all, the salt content is so high that nothing can live in it. But oh, the blue! And the shades of blue change as the water approaches the shore -- I swear, it's almost like looking at the ocean in the Caribbean. The best part, however, was experiencing how the desert changes color as the day progresses. By the time we left, the sun was setting and it set the water and the desert mountains afire in a glowing orangey red, which was soon muted to lavender and then a deep, inky indigo. Unforgettable. I wish my pictures did it justice.


Will write up the two-day trip to Jordan some other time. I absolutely loved it and need to take some time to find the right words to describe it ...

At a hotel bar in Jerusalem and so far, have seen Germans, Italians, Greeks, Americans and other assorted nationalities sidle up to the bar. It is fascinating how the language of alcohol is a universal one. Forget David Beckham or Michael Jordan, I'm convinced that "Johnny Walker" is the most recognized personality around the world.

No comments: