Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Gang competes!

After 51 grueling hours of business analysis and case competition craziness, with just smattering of sleep, my team -- the one and only Team 10 -- emerged victorious! In the words of one of my teammates, I think our collective reaction was: "Holy hell!" We won our way out of the final 20-page paper and took home winnings of $900. I still can't believe it.

We had to fight with the security guards to let us stay in the school building after midnight. (And seriously? What school says to its tuition-paying students, "no, you absolutely cannot stay in this building willingly in order to do schoolwork.") Our sustenance for two days came from pizza, Thai food, Snickers bars, and gallons of Starbucks coffee. A random CVS shopping cart became our only source of entertainment. But those things were merely crumbs under the table compared to the overwhelming talent of the Gang of 100. If you know the Gang, then you know what a tough competition it truly was.

What an honor to compete with these amazingly people! I'm so proud of all of us -- I know there were some judges who were just blown away by the presentations the teams gave. Our little Gang is going to go off and do great things, I just know it.

Now, while I'm convinced that the balanced nature of our team, coupled with the mind-blowing intelligence and chemistry contributed to our success, I have to share the true secret .... Paul Potts.

Thanks to a Team 10 member, we discovered Paul Potts, a shy, unassuming, and rather awkward mobile phone salesman who wanted more than anything to sing opera. Somehow he made it to the auditions for the TV talent show, "Britain's Got Talent." Just watch.


No comments: