Saturday, May 13, 2006

Adjusting to the States

I've been back in the States for five days. And it almost feels like I've never been gone. Boston is just the same, although the trees have leaves now and the lilacs are blooming and it's been raining everyday since I returned. The top three things I've noticed most about being back:

1. Americans love their cars. I was aching to drive my car again when I got back but have been struck by how little I walk around, now that I have wheels. Seems a bit of a shame and I've decided to walk more and take the T more often.

2. Americans are not healthy. I'm currently in Buffalo, NY, for my little sister's college graduation and have noticed more than anything else, the large numbers of large people here. I just spent a month in a country where the people are too poor to be fat, so the sudden appearance of obese individuals around me is rather stunning. And kinda gross, not gonna lie.

3. I only spoke English maybe 10% (or less) of the time I was in Bolivia. Since I returned, I haven't spoken a lick of Spanish, until today, but that was because I received a phone call from Bolivia. I better figure out a way to speak the language while in Boston.

Been thinking about how to recap the whole month and will have pictures up soon. I'm already missing the boys and my work down there, so composing the summary will be a nice way to revisit them ...

1 comment:

manchomelo said...

Habrá versión en castellano la próxima vez?