Saturday, April 22, 2006

House vs. Home

I came down to Bolivia for a two main reasons -- to better understand how U.S. organzations can partner with organizations in other countries to solve social injustices, and because my faith demands that I live a life serving other people.

More than anything else so far, I've learned the difference between a house and a home. Houses, or shelters, are what most organizations down here provide for street children. In those buildings, the kids maybe can get a little food and at least sleep under a roof without the stench of the sewer at night. And when morning comes, they're back on the streets to fend for themselves.

But The Bolivian Street Children Project is pretty much the only organization in La Paz that serves these kids by providing the love and security of a home and a family. BSCP is hardly an orphanage -- I remember John telling me on my first or second day here that what they strive for is to give these children their childhood back, a childhood robbed by drugs, prostitution, absent or abusive parents, and violence. The kids in the Barnabas and Renacer Homes have a family -- they have "adopted parents," they receive respect and education, they have a name, discipline, role models, security and love. And while I'm often convicted by the material things I take for granted, I'm struck this time by these intangibles that I overlook.

I understand more profoundly why love is the main topic of the Bible. For those of you haven't read it, the Bible isn't actually about right wing radicals, abortion, homosexuality, do's and don'ts, and fire and brimstone. Someone once said that it's the story of God's romance with the world. A love story, not a trashy smut novel. (Although, it's kind of amusing to imagine Fabio as Jesus on the cover of the Bible).

Regardless, all this talk about love, houses and homes reminds me that a heavenly home is built for me but until I get there, it's my job to build an earthly home for anyone else who needs one. And I don't need power tools, carpentry skills, and a hard hat to do it.

1 comment:

Warren said...

You know, I've felt the same way that you do for quite some time; about the bible anyway... It pains me to see my fellows saying one thing and doing another (much like myself but I'm not such a public figure)and yet when they see a sin they are quick to point it out. We so often forget that we are not the judges of this world and that through us people see Jesus and to many he must seem an uncaring lout. I've seen the street children on TV but can only imagine what it must be like. That some have been given hope is truly a miracle. I loved the picture of the lake too.