Thursday, March 27, 2008

It's good to reminisce

Decided to take the night off from working and instead did a load of laundry and tidied up my room. I know that doesn't sound like much of a day off, but it's amazing what you find when you actually clean up piles and clean out boxes that have been sitting around for awhile! It's been quite the nostalgic trip through my 21st century life:

First, I found a business card from a guy named Ashok, which brought me back to 2001 when I first moved to Boston, I quickly befriended the new grads who were in the finance leadership development program at Big Red. And I dragged a couple of them with me to First Friday at the Museum of Fine Arts. Supposedly, it was the place for Boston singles ... that is, if you're over the age of 35, as we quickly discovered. I spent a good portion of the night talking to a 60 year old Bulgarian man who repaired HVAC systems and the other part of night talking to some dude named Ashok. Thought he was a nice guy but he turned out to be a little stalker-ish.

Then, I re-discovered a series of pro-strong-and-independent-women postcards that a fabulous friend of mine diligently sent me every few days after I had gone through a tough breakup and was living temporarily and alone in Burlington. That would have been sometime in 2004, I think. I thought about the amazing friends that I left behind in Boston and how they looked after me and how much I miss them.

Later, I emptied out a cardboard box that has remained packed since I moved into DC last June. (What can I say? I hate unpacking ...) Surprisingly, I found a number of souvenirs from my family's trip to China, including a small bag of sand from the Gobi. It reminded me of riding a camel through the desert, eating kabobs in Urumqi and experiencing Tienanmen Square in the rain.

Unfortunately, my reverie was shattered by the exceptionally low flying helicopter that whirred past my house. That is definitely not normal and I'm wondering what I'll see in the news tomorrow ...




----------------
Now playing: Forro in the Dark - Asa Branca (feat. David Byrne)
via FoxyTunes

No comments: